The people who plan, manage, and build our projects are all experts in their field, and an integral part of our company’s success. Tom Underwood is the operations director in Atlanta and helps ensure our teams have the resources to keep our projects on track — no matter what challenges arise. Here’s eight questions to get to know him.
1. What’s your day-to-day look like?
- 4:30 AM – wake up
- 4:45 AM – read and meditate
- 5:00 AM – run, swim or bike
- 6:30 AM – shower and off to work
- 7:15 AM – at work, preparing for the day
- 9:00 AM – RFP Response Conference Call
- 10:00 AM – skin preinstallation meeting with project team
- 12:00 PM – Rotary Club meeting
- 2:00 PM – OAC Meeting
- 3:30 PM – job site visit
- 4:30 PM – discuss cost reports
- 6:00 PM – head home
- 7:00 PM – dinner with family
- 8:00 PM – help kids with homework
- 9:00 PM – off to bed to rest up and do it all again tomorrow
2. What’s the one lesson you’ve learned in this industry that’s stuck with you?
Do what you say you’re going to do.
3. Describe the last challenge/problem you solved on the job?
I helped execute the full owner contract on a recent project in Atlanta — including gathering all the supporting documents required and resolving a tough subcontract negotiation. I was able to move the project forward for a great client.
4. How did you get started in the industry?
When I was growing up, a family friend who had studied Building Science at Auburn hired me to help him install irrigation systems.
5. What’s your most memorable project?
My first project out of school, the Howard H. Baker Courthouse. I learned a lot fast, worked many long hours, and formed some long-lasting relationships that I maintain to this day.
6. What’s the best part of your job?
In this industry, we get to do a variety of things on a daily basis — every day is different.
7. Tell us a fun fact about yourself.
I regularly compete in triathlons and endurance sport events — everything from the Ironman in Florida to the Grand Canyon R2R2R.
8. What’s your best memory from your time with Hoar Construction?
Anytime I am with a large group of Hoar Construction employees is a great time — sharing stories and laughs and building relationships with coworkers.